Friday, March 16, 2007

How can I resist

If love has such a power to arouse more love, why do I not love Thee, my God, with my whole heart? How can I resist the great force of Thy love? How can I be deaf and insensible to the voices of all creation that call me to this love? The cold, hard stone gives off sparks if it is struck with a piece of steel. Will my heart be so obdurate that in spite of all the blows of all creation not even a spark of love will fly from it? If there is nothing else in the world more powerful for igniting fire, why does not the fire of Thy divine love inflame my heart?

If thou, my God, art a fire of infinite love, why is not my heart inflamed when it is in Thy presence? What coldness is this that Thy fire cannot ignite it? O King of glory, do not permit such a monstrosity in the world that I should not be inflamed by that great fire. Inflame this cold heart, my Lord, this heart colder than snow and harder than ice, so that I may love Thee with all my strength as Thou dost command and dost deserve to be loved. Make this love burn always and for all eternity. Amen.

Louis of Granada, Summa of the Christian Life, Volume 1, Chapter 8

No comments:

Post a Comment