Monday, February 05, 2007

A Prayer of St. Rose of Lima

“Lord Jesus Christ, God and Man, my Creator and my Savior, I am extremely sorry and sensibly grieved for having offended Thee, because Thou art what Thou art, and Because I love Thee above all things. My God, who art the Spouse of my soul, and all the joy of my heart, I desire, but I desire it with all the powers of my soul, to love Thee with a very perfect love, with a very efficacious love, with a very sincere ineffable love, the greatest that a creature can have for her God, with an incomprehensible love, with a love resolute and invincible in difficulties; in a word, I desire to love Thee in heaven. Even more, O God of my heart, of my life, and all the joy of my soul, I desire to love Thee; as far as I am capable of it, as much as the Blessed Virgin, Thy Mother and my sweet Lady, loves Thee. Oh, Salvation of my soul! I desire to love Thee as Thou lovest Thyself. Oh, my sweet Jesus! May I burn with the fire of Thy divine love! May it consume me, and make of my soul a holocaust to Thy glory.”

From The Life of Saint Rose of Lima, Text from the Fr. Faber translation, Peter F. Cunningham, fourth edition, 1855

1 comment: