Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Veritas

I've been saying this privately for a few days, but now I'm saying it publicly, and then I'll hold my peace.

I've been hearing that America's "health care system is broken" quite often from a lot of politi-lips. I'm sorry, but I still reject Orwell's 1984 redefinition of words and concepts. Our health care system isn't broken; there are doctors, clinics, hospitals everywhere in this country providing services. No, it is not broken, but it is expensive. Now we've hit the crux of the problem; we want good service, cheap to free, and now.

In the marketing world I learned that these three (quality, cost, schedule) are always the negotiables on the table. If I'm providing a service, you can have two, I get the other one. America has given up cost and now regrets it. fine. If you take it back, you will give up either quality or timely service, it is an unavoidable and inexorable consequence of life.

So please, America, stop pretending health care is broken. speak truly, it's expensive and you want it cheap.

Veritas!

ok, I've said my piece and will return to the Prince of Peace...

2 comments:

  1. Actually, there is a very simple, straightforward way to cut the cost of health care; but the politi-lips (Marcus Magnus, where DO you come up with these things???) will never propose it, because it would put them out of business. If we reduced government to its constitutionally mandated functions, we would find that the price of health care (along with a great many other things) would plummet.

    (I think it would also help if we broke the power of the insurance companies -- easier said than done.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now now, that would put the Department of Insurance out of business[!]. Hee hee. Oh, also, just allow market forces to drive the cost down. That would work.

    ReplyDelete