Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A Beautiful Hymn

Lord Jesus, once you spoke to men
Upon the mountain, in the plain;
O help us listen now, as then,
And wonder at your words again.

We all have secret fears to face,
Our minds and motives to amend;
We see your truth, we need your grace,
Our living Lord and present Friend.

The Gospel speaks, and we receive
Your light, your love, your own command
O help us live what we believe
In daily work of heart and hand.

Melody: Oh Jesus, mi culcissime
Music: Clausener Gesangbuch, L.M. 1653
Text: H.C.A. Gaunt (1902)

5 comments:

  1. I would like to know how to sing this, but I cannot find the melody on the internet, nor can I somehow extrapolate the melody from O Jesu, mi dulcissime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is taken from the 4 week psalter of the Liturgy of the Hours. I've had a hard time finding sheet music for most of the hymns published there. Perhaps someone who is more familiar with it could help. Sorry I couldn't be a little more helpful. May St. Anthony help you find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had the same difficulty. I did find this one on youtube, and am using it but am not at all sure that it is the melody that is meant!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOxlHgZdXes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had the same difficulty. I did find this one on youtube, and am using it but am not at all sure that it is the melody that is meant!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOxlHgZdXes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Succes...maybe... :-) This website suggests using instead the "Winchester New", the melody for "On Jordan's Banks [the Baptist's Cry]" It's a favorite of mine, so I'm quite happy to use it!

    http://kpshaw.blogspot.com/2013/08/191.html

    ReplyDelete