Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Time travel

I've returned from a few days in Albuquerque New Mexico with my dad and step mom. We had a wonderful time, and I was glad to see that dad was as much "himself" as ever, in spite of chemo. we had a good time going through his mother's photo albums, looking at pictures I'd never seen before; my "family" in time;

Here's my paternal great-great grandparents, sometime prior to about the 1880s in Romania.



and skipping a generation, this is my grandparents in 1923 about 100 miles before they reached LA, driving from Washington DC. This is the first and only picture I have seen of my grandfather with hair (which he lost in the great flu empidemic).



This is my dad and his mom, at graduation from the United States Coast Guard Academy, 1945.



And this is the USS Bayfield (ATA-33) (Christmas 1945?), my dad's first assignment at sea. The Bayfield was command ship for Omaha beach, then was at Iwo Jima, Okinawa, Leyte, and would have been in the invasion of Japan which as called off.



I understand in my absence that the retreat went well; such an interesting comparison, family in blood, family in Christ; life which continues in it's rythms, which was, is, and will be; Life which IS, made present in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, eternally present for our salvation; the inevitable drama of life, The Drama of Life.

adoramus te christe

3 comments:

  1. Extremely cool pics. You do take after your grandfather in looks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grandma is soooo pretty. I have a picture of my grandfather (I never met him) sitting in his model T with my Mom and Aunt sitting on the running board. Your picture reminds me of mine.

    I love old pictures. Thanks for showing them to us.

    ReplyDelete