Thursday, August 16, 2007

Engineers...

After several days of being out with a cold which hit me rather hard, I'm finally on the mend. Life is good, and interesting... in checking my emails, my son-in-law sent me the following:





READ THE TEXT, THEN WATCH CLIP(click picture)

old but still good, turn up volume..............................


How many times have you wondered how strong those cement barriers are that you see in front of military base entrances????

"From time to time someone asks me what the concrete barriers are in front of controlled and secure buildings. When I tell them that the barriers will stop Traffic, even trucks, from approaching the secure building I usually get a look of disbelief. I've been looking for some footage like this to prove my point. In this test, the following parameters were used.

Read them and then watch the film Clip."
**Truck = 65,000 lbs.**
**Speed = 50 mph**
**Kinetic Energy = 5.5 MILLION ft. lbs.** **Stopped in 24 inches !!!**


E. L. D., E.I.T.
Assistant Traffic Engineer
County Highway District


now, if only we could do that at the microscopic scale to the cold virus before it breaks into the cells!

2 comments:

  1. Mark, I sure hope that was a crash test! I know all about kinetic energy and how the body absorbs it in a crash.

    BTW, how did you place the You Tube under the photo? Nice trick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Putting YouTube in a blog entry?

    I capture a snapshot of the image (I use SNAGIT, a shareware product), and post the picture just like any other blogger entry. after that, edit the html and modify the href= part of the tag so that it points to the YouTube URL instead of the blogger picture.

    I don't know how others get the actual YouTube gizmo embedded in their posts, so I cheat a little...

    ReplyDelete