Thursday, April 26, 2007

Lacordaire, Conferences

Recognizing that since I haven't posted from Lacordaire, I also haven't read any of it, So I decided to resume the short posts...


The following is continued from Lacordaire's
"God: Conferences delivered at Notre Dame in Paris"

(series begins here)


CONFERENCES

THE INNER LIFE OF GOD
(continued)

SISTIMUS HIC TANDEM NOBIS UBI DEFUIT ORBIS.

This first general law being recognized, I at once draw some conclusions from it touching the life of God; for as the action of a being is equal to its activity, and as God is infinite activity, it follows that in God there is infinite action, or, to speak still more clearly, that infinite action constitutes in God the very life of God. But what is an action? Nature and mankind are composed only of a tissue of actions; we do nothing else from the moment of our birth to our death. Nevertheless, do you know clearly what an action is? Have you ever weighed the sense of that word which comprises all that passes in heaven and upon earth? An action is a movement; it is impossible for us to conceive its nature under a more clear and general form. The body moves when it acts, thought moves when it works, the heart moves when it conceives affections; from wheresoever the action comes, the tongue has but one term for expressing it, and the understanding but one idea for conceiving it. All is in movement in the universe, because all therein is action, and all therein is action, because, from the atom to the planet, from the dust even to intelligence, all is activity. But movement supposes and object, an end to which the being aspires. I move, I run I risk my life. Why? What do I seek? Apparently I seek something wanting to me and which I desire; for if nothing were wanting to me, my movement would have no cause, repose would be my natural state, immobility my happiness. Since I move, it is to act: to act is at the same time the motive and the end of movement, and consequently action is a productive movement.

Do not grow weary of following me; it is true I am leading you by ways whose outlets perhaps you do not yet see; you are passengers in the ship of Columbus, you seek in vain the star that announces the port to you; but take courage, you will soon hail the shore, it is already near.

Henri-Dominique Lacordaire
God: Conferences - Notre-Dame in Paris (1871)

No comments:

Post a Comment