Thursday, September 25, 2008

What does God want me to do?

Often much hand-wringing goes on over the above question. I read something yesterday and now can't find it, so apologies if I've picked this up off your blog, forum, or website (let me know and I'll provide the attribution). anyway...

The thought I read seemed pretty insightful; the greater the authority possessed, the quieter the voice. A Drill Sergeant yells at the trainees at the top of his voice, while the colonel speaks to his staff in a clear voice; God, who has ultimate authority, whispers; the more authority possessed, the less the need to speak loudly.

The president has never called us up and asked us to do something, yet ... we expect God to? God's orders are clear, He never shouts, although, rarely, He calls. For all the noise, do we hear?

The burden of the "glorious freedom of the children of God" [Rm 8:21] is less asking the question "what does God want me to do?" than asking ourself "what can I do for God?"

You have been told, O man, what is good, and what the LORD requires of you: Only to do the right and to love goodness, and to walk humbly with your God. [Micah 6:8]

3 comments: